17 May Ransomware ‘’WannaCry’’ Attack – Preventive Measures You Need To Know – Infographic
Recently, there has been news about Ransomware on news channels, newspapers and it is circulating on social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp etc as well. We at Webtrackstudio thought of sharing the information so that everyone gets to know what is Ransomware, how harmful it is is and how to prevent your system/business from it.
Ransomware attack is a major attack on IT security systems. This has been one of the most and widespread malwares ever seen as per some security experts. Ransomware has infected tens of thousands of computers in nearly 100 countries worldwide. India covers 4% of all the systems affected as in 2016.
The Ransomware is a type of malicious software. It locks the data in your computer or laptop and it doesn’t let you access any data from your own system. In order to get your system unlocked the hackers demand for money usually 300-600 bitcoins or more. Well there is no surety of getting your data unlocked even after you fulfil the demand of money.
Bitcoin is a crypto-currency which can’t be forged. Cybercriminals prefer bitcoins so that they can’t be traced because it’s hard to track the owner of the wallet.
There are many people who do not know
- What Ransomware attack is?
- What preventive measures they can take to protect their system from Ransomware?
- How to know you have been attacked by Ransomware?
- What to do if Ransomware enters your system?
So, we have created an infographic to provide answers to all these questions on the topic –
What is Ransomware & Preventive Measures You Need To Know
An – Infographic
Note: (If you like to post this infographic on your website or blog then provide credits to webtrackstudio.com)
Ransomware What it is & What You Should Know
- Ransomware has emerged as one of the most dangerous thereat yet for both organisations as well as individuals.
- It is affecting most of the computers which are running on old MS OS like Windows XP. Microsoft has released Customer Guidance for attacks. You can install emergency patches for operating systems as far back as WindowsXP.
- Ransomware locks a connected device such as a computer, tablet or smartphone. To unlock the device it demands ransom (money).
- If your computer at home or workplace is not having the latest Windows security update then it’s at great risk of infection.
- On finding a known vulnerability in Microsoft Windows the threat can spread itself within business networks.
- Microsoft has provided advice to its customers on how to prevent their machines from Ransomware.
Examples Your System Is Affected By Ransomware:
- On opening file in your system you will notice somehow the name and extension of the file has been modified. It cannot be opened nor can be renamed. The only file that gets opened comes with a message as
“Аttеntiоn! Аll yоur filеs are еnсryрtеd with (some name) аlgоrithm…Tо gеt yоur uniquе kеy аnd dесrурt thе filеs, Yоu hаvе to sеnd thе fоllоwing cоdе (an alphanumeric code or so) tо оur е-mаil аddrеss: (some email address).”
- You can get fake emails related to online shopping. The spam email addresses generally looks similar to email of online shopping sites and get’s unnoticed by many users. On downloading the receipt of products the virus enters your systems.
The attack has impacted many large business and organizations including FedEx – an international shipping company, hospitals in UK, rail stations, universities, a telecom company etc. Businesses are at greater risk of this attack as it can spread very fast through the whole network and can take control over the entire company data. Businesses need to take extra precautions for their network security but individuals also need to make their system secure as everyone’s data is important.
Some of the ATM’s which have not updated Microsoft’s Windows operating system are prone to risk in India. Banks as a precaution from Ransomware ‘WannaCry’ have shut some Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) running on old software in India.
How To Protect Yourself From The Massive Ransomware Attack
- Update and patch your system. Whenever you see windows update message on your PC update it without delay.
- Never use pirated operating system or anti-virus.
- Set auto-update to on in your system.
- Make sure you have an anti virus in your system. If not yet then install a trusted anti-virus software.
- Make it a habit to take regular backup of your data. Make a backup of your files, photos and documents. It is important to encrypt your data.
- The most suspicious files are EXE, SCR, VBS and JS extensions. Sometimes they are in ZIP or RAR archives. Other files are of .LNK extension, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT etc
- You can also use cloud services to keep a backup of your data on – Google Drive, Amazon Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or Apple iCloud.
- Don’t open suspicious and phishing emails.
- It’s better to clear up the junk folder without opening the emails.
- Don’t open compressed and word files or suspicious attachments from unknown sources.
- Don’t open unrecognized links or questionable links.
- Don’t open files which look suspicious to you even if it comes from known people. It’s better to confirm via phone call, messaging etc
- Make sure you turn on the option to show the file name extension in your system. As Ransomware virus hides or modifies the file name extensions. Ex: filename.txt could be filename.txt.exe (a malware installer) in actual.
- Even if unfortunately your system gets locked and they demand for money then don’t give as there is no surety that you will get your system data unlocked.
- Even if any one of the computers get affected with this Malware then take it off the network and shut down the other computers connected on the network to stop this malware from spreading in your network.
- Hackers can encourage you to keep your computer on so that they can encrypt more files. On realizing that your system has been attacked with Ransomware virus disconnect your internet and shut your system quickly.
In order to prevent such cyber-attacks please apply regular updates to your website/systems. We at WebTrackStudio provide reliable website maintenance and support services for businesses in USA, UK, Canada, Australia and various other countries at reasonable prices. Please contact us today to get a free quote.