07 Feb How to secure wordpress website using simple steps – Part 1
1. Secure the login page and wp-admin
- First make wp-admin directory and wp-login.php page inaccessible, WPS Hide Login is a very light plugin that lets you easily and safely change the url of the login form page to anything you want. The wp-admin directory and wp-login.php page become inaccessible, so you should bookmark or remember the url.
2. Secure wordpress website directory & protect from brute force attacks
- Secure wordpress website directory using htaccess because it is so Much Better Than Other Types of Website Security. Hackers malicious scripts are stopped by .htaccess files before those scripts even have a chance to reach the php code in WordPress. So now how you can do it yourself? simple go to plugins and click on Add New. Now in search box type the “BulletProof Security“, install and activate. Now go to setting and click on button “One-Click Setup Wizard” and your site is secure now using htaccess
- Brute Force Attack aims at being the simplest kind of method to gain access to a site: it tries usernames and passwords, over and over again, until it gets in. In a brute force attack, аutоmаtеd software iѕ uѕеd tо gеnеrаtе a lаrgе numbеr оf соnѕесutivе guesses аѕ to thе value of thе desired data. Brute force attack may bе uѕеd by сriminаlѕ tо crack еnсrурtеd dаtа, оr bу security аnаlуѕtѕ to tеѕt an оrgаnizаtiоn’ѕ nеtwоrk security. To make it fix you need to go Login Security of “BulletProof Security” and setup max login attempt and lockout time. see the screenshot
3. Keep Clean & Updated WordPress Website
- Doing regular cleanups allow you to reduce the size of your database, which means you backup files will be quicker and smaller.
- Plugins/Themes often take up a lot of space in your database so eliminating any unnecessary ones is a great preliminary step toward cleaning house – or rather, database. So make sure you get delete unused theme and plugins.
- Keep updated your wordpress plugin and theme for latest security updates.
- Delete All Spam Comments
- Disable Pingbacks & TrackBacks
I hope part 1 helped you in making secure wordpress website. Stay tuned for Part 2, I will come up with more security suggestion. If your website got hacked, if it has malware, harmful content and blocked by search engines please contact us we will help you to restore and secure wordpress website.